06 June 2012

My CFY Experience

A year ago, I was interviewed for a position I knew little about. I received an email from a company I had been stalking since March, and they needed an SLP for a position in Corning. Even though this location was a good commute, I applied anyway. Within the week, I was interviewed on the phone, and a short time later, I was interviewed in person. I was hired the same day as my interview.

I did not know what I was getting myself into.

On July 5th, I reported to work. There I met two co-workers who were also new graduates... and who were also starting that day. Simply stated, we were the new rehab team. Yes, that's right, three new graduates were expected to build a rehab department virtually from the ground up.

On my first day, I told the company administrator that I was expecting in January. Expecting to be fired immediately (haha), I was shocked when she responded with enthusiasm and excitement. A maternity leave would be no problem. Whew! What a weight lifted from my shoulders.

There are many details I am not going to share with you for privacy purposes, but, it was a VERY tough ride. Over the course of the first month, more staff members were added to the team because the rehab department was growing so quickly.

I continued to be the only SLP until November. My colleague and good friend was hired to cover my maternity leave. He ended up treating several residents that I couldn't see because of contact precautions and whatnot. Luckily, our caseload is now large enough to support two SLPs. Having him around has been such a blessing. He is always picking up my slack.

My clinical fellowship year saw a transformation of a rehab department. It saw a caseload nearly quadruple in size. It saw the turn-over of three (or more) dietitians (which is a big thing in my field). It witnessed the death of many amazing residents. It was able to withstand state inspection. It was blessed with the birth of my daughter. It has brought many close friends into my life.

I have laughed. I have cried. I have been frustrated. I have felt blessed. I have felt like giving up. I have felt accomplished. I have felt defeated. I have felt proud.

On this side of things, I feel relief.

We did it! Not only did we transform a rehab department that so desperately needed it, but I grew so much personally... as a therapist, person, and mom.

I wish I could fully describe everything... but, that's not really necessary. Many of you already know the nitty gritty details.

I am proud of my accomplishments. I am taking this moment to pat myself on the back.

Thanks for letting me brag!

1 comment:

  1. Abby i am so happy for you, God is truly blessing your life girl and if anyone could do it, sure is you. Sophia is getting so big and already sitting up wow how time fly's.

    ReplyDelete