22 September 2011

Saucy Little Spitfire {Plus a Lesson in Patience}

My workday was one of "those days". You know, the type of day where one leaves convinced that God thought a good lesson in patience was necessary. I had decided by 9:00 this morning that He must have thought that I could use some instruction in that area.

Anyway, while dealing with the situation that set the tone for the rest of my day, it was also confirmed that our sweet daughter is also a little spitfire. While my redheaded temper was flaring (and rightfully so), it seemed as if Sophia was getting hot as well. I was trying my best to be nice, and while I was very firmly letting people know that what was going on was not ok (nothing too major), my once-still child, started throwing punches and bouncing around my womb.


It was so hard to keep a straight face when all I could picture were these sweet hands throwing punches. I could just picture her shaking her little fist and telling them what she thought. She was worked up the entire time that I was, and once I had calmed down, she calmed down as well. Yes, I realize that she could probably sense that I was upset, but it's also fun to believe that she is going to be able to hold her own when the situation calls for it.

Today, I am reminded of the lyrics to Francesca Battistelli's song "This is the Stuff", and yes, I belted this out on the drive home. It goes something like this...

"This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing
It might not be what I would choose
But this is the stuff You use

So break me of impatience
Conquer my frustrations"

Sophia made me stop and think today about how truly thankful I am for her. She is still in my womb, but she is making a difference in my life each and every day. She already brings so much joy to my life, and she already knows just what to do to bring a smile to my face. In the midst of my frustrations today, she made me stop and realized how BLESSED I am in spite of everything that goes on around me.

1 Thessalonians 5:14 also seems appropriate for today.

"And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who unruly, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone."

I hope my lesson in patience is over for the day... or even the week. Oh boy, here I go being impatient again.

No comments:

Post a Comment