18 September 2011

What To Do...

... with a 10 pound cabbage.


First, take a picture for comparison. Let me tell ya, my husband has a fairly large noggin. This cabbage is HUGE!


Then, make a pot of beef and cabbage stew with a portion of the cabbage.

Finally...

Make galumpkis!!! I first had these at my adult externship in Cape. For nursing home food, I thought they were amazing. I then resorted to eating them from Lean Cuisine. I am getting off topic...

How do you make these, and what are they?! Both are very good questions. They are simply cabbage rolls & they are SO fun to make!

 A friend at work shared his family's recipe (I mean, actually MADE me some to try before giving me the recipe), and I am so appreciative of that! Let me share with you!

Ingredients:

1 large (very large) head of cabbage
2 pounds ground turkey or beef
3/4 box 10 minute brown rice
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
3 eggs
Salt, pepper, italian seasonings, and garlic powder to taste
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jar spaghetti sauce of choice

Preparation:


Blanche cabbage.

Mix meat, rice, onion, green pepper, eggs and seasonings in a large bowl. No need to cook any of these items.


Carefully peel each leaf off. Plop as much meat mixture as you wish on the leaf. Roll tightly, and admire the adorable fat pig you have created.


Place all of these fat piggies in a greased baking dish.


Top with diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce. Cover.

Bake at 400 degrees for an hour or until the meat mixture is thoroughly cooked.


Serve with mashed potatoes (we cheated on these), and ENJOY the amazing concoction.


Out of a 10 pound cabbage, after cooking beef and cabbage stew and galumpkis, this is all we had left. Not too bad!

I must also add that we got this cabbage at a local Amish stand. We only paid $1 for it. That is 10 cents per pound. That is a price that can't be beat! What a delish fall treat... and now the majority of our meals are cooked for the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment