20 July 2011

First "Good" Work Story

I have been waiting for this day... the day I come home with a sweet story about a patient. A story that will be etched in my memory for years to come. The following conversation took place this afternoon with a patient who did not realize I was pregnant.

Patient: "Can I help you with the boy?"

Me: "What boy are you talking about?"

Patient: Silence

Me: Wondering what memory she was thinking of.

A few moments later...

Patient: "Can I help you with that bump?"

Me: "What bump?"

Patient: "The bump on your stomach!"

Me: "Oh! Do you think I'm pregnant?!"

Patient: "Well, yes. Can I help you with him?"

Me: "Aw, well sure! I would be happy to bring the baby up here in January. I still have five and a half more months to go."

Patient: "Good! I want to cod..., wait, what's that word? Oh yeah, I want to cuddle him!"

Me: "That would be so good! Do you want to hear the names we have picked out?"

Patient: "Yes!"

Me: "___________ for a girl and ___________ for a boy. Do you like them?"

Patient: "Yes!"

Me: "Which one do you like best?"

Patient: "Boy."

Me: "You really want me to have a boy don't you?"

(Side note- this patient has four daughters and one son. She lost her son far too early in life.)

Patient: "Yes, you can't imagine how hard it is to be without my boy."

Me: "I am so sorry. I can't even imagine how hard it is."

Patient: "Well, can I be his second mom?"

... I absolutely melted at this point! So, after she assured me that she would love the baby even if we have a girl, I assured her that the baby would visit at some point. It was so precious, and I will always remember her sincere request to help me with our baby.



I also realized that I really AM starting to look pregnant. Not only did this adorable patient realize it, but a member of the staff asked me today if I'm expecting. YAY! This is such an exciting time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment