05 November 2011

Moving Beyond the Superficial

A friend from high school posted this blog the other day, and it really made me stop and think. It really hit home. I was so good for a while to "deny" those friend requests on Facebook that came from people that I didn't TRULY know or those that I haven't talked to in years. With Sophia on the way, I feel like I post much more about our personal life, and I do so to keep our family and close friends involved in this precious process.

Yes, I know that keeping a blog opens a window to our lives, but I pick and choose what I want to elaborate on and make more public. On Facebook, it's so easy to post something each day. As we get closer to welcoming Sophia into our home, I have a growing desire to make Facebook a tool to use to keep family and close friends involved in her life. I feel a desire to make it more than a social networking tool. I want my Facebook to be a place where we can instantly connect with those closest to us... without drama or influences from those I only know on a superficial level.

So, I have decided to "trim the fat" as Grace's blog suggested. I am taking the step to make Facebook into what I want it to be. What I want to make more public, I will continue to post on here. I do not mean to offend or push anyone away, I just want to use Facebook for those relationships that I hold so dear to my heart.

I challenge you to read Grace's blog as well. See if it creates the same feelings in you. If you think about it, it makes total sense. Social networking is fantastic, but I believe that our relationships are much more shallow now than they were before the world of Facebook or social networking sites. I'm ready to get back to those close family and friendship bonds. Are you?

2 comments:

  1. I see your reasoning for 'trimming the fat'. It's something we all need to do. I do want to wish you and Andrew the best of luck as you begin your journey as mommy and daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby, thanks for the shout out! I just realized you posted this blog and it's wonderful. I think my post really hit home to some and that was the point. I so wish facebook wasn't the tool we use to communicate with our loved ones. Although it's convenient, I miss those phone calls and hand written notes (remember in grade school? notes WERE the facebook!) And have you ever watched The Wonder Years? I just really miss the simplicity of everything.

    And Happy Birthday, girlfriend! Have a fabulous day! <3<3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete