23 June 2011

A Baby Story

On May 10th, we realized that our lives were changed forever. I woke up that morning feeling slightly sick, and took a pregnancy test I had lying around on a whim. As far as dates are concerned, I thought that there was no way it would come back positive.


God had other plans in mind. I cannot describe my shock as I looked at this positive result. I immediately began thanking my Father for this precious gift. Sadly, Andrew and I were still living 1,000 miles apart at this time, and there was no way I could wait the three days for him to come home. So... I sent him a text with a picture saying that we had been blessed with a huge (but tiny!) surprise. This seemed appropriate considering our relationship survived off of texting. He was so happy! Somehow, he said he had a feeling that I was going to be sharing that news soon. I, however, had no idea.


This picture was taken the day I found out. Throughout the next few days, I had several lunch dates with friends, family time for graduation, and many more opportunities to be around those we love. All the while, we kept this sweet blessing quiet. Well, I had called my mom because I wanted her support and prayer, but other than that, it was our little secret. I cannot tell you how hard it was to keep from screaming it on the rooftops!

We then made the move across the country, and we told the rest of our parents the good news by 8 weeks. I have spent much of my time here in New York exhausted and queasy, and it's safe to say that the house is a complete disaster. Luckily, I wasn't too zealous in unpacking, which is going to work to our advantage when we move again soon.


This is the most recent picture at 10 weeks. If you don't know me, then not much looks like it has changed. If you're familiar to me and my appearance, I think it is quite obvious that something is changing. I am now ready to get past the "fat" phase and onto the "for sure showing" phase.

We had originally planned to keep our little one a secret until 14 weeks. After a miscarriage in December, we were terrified to tell too soon for fear of it happening again. However, after hearing that precious heartbeat yesterday, we were too excited to keep it to ourselves any longer. Hearing that heartbeat is the sweetest sound our ears have ever heard. Andrew cried when he heard it, and it is a moment that will forever be etched in my mind.

I am looking forward to having the first trimester behind me. I am SO glad that people know now. I feel like the prayer support for this baby multiplied immensely in such a short amount of time. I also feel more connected to everyone back home... which is something my heart has needed lately.

We are ecstatic about this sweet addition to our family, and we are so looking forward to what God has in store for our lives! He has blessed us beyond our wildest imaginations, and I have no doubt He will continue to do so. We do not take a single second for granted with this precious life, and we are so thankful for this amazing blessing!

We go in on Wednesday to have an ultrasound done. We will share those pictures as soon as possible. Until then, please keep praying us through!!

God is SO good... and we are SO grateful.

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea you wen't through the heartache of a miscarriage. This must be such a blessing after that. I love you both and am so excited (like I've said a MILLION times already!) for you. You will make great parents, and I can't wait to come visit you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Heather!! I love you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me either. This blog made me so sad and so happy at the same time. But ultimately I end up happy by the end of the tale. I'll be rooting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my darling sister,
    I am so thrilled for you to finally hear that little heartbeat. Soon it will be little cries, little foot steps, little words, and will eventually be your little tears when they start school. I know you and Andrew will be WONDERFUL parents, and I cannot wait to hold that precious bundle. God does send us miracles everyday, and we are truly blessed to receive them. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I don't talk about it too much. The gratitude I feel for this precious miracle is so much stronger than it would have been otherwise. We are so, so blessed.

    ReplyDelete