15 June 2011

Week at a Glance

June 5, 2011: Sunday

Andrew and I celebrated our 1st anniversary. We also attended church. In my blog about this day, I explained that "we enjoyed a very nice sermon preached by our pastor's brother-in-law. It really put a lot of things into perspective for me... such as waiting for God's timing in everything. His plan is so much bigger than we can understand." For the first time since moving to New York, I had placed all of my trust regarding my job search in God's hands. This sermon opened my eyes to the fact that God has EVERYTHING under control. So, I stepped back and let him take the reigns.

June 7, 2011: Tuesday

I received an email from the rehab company I have been eyeballing since spring. The email explained that they had job opportunities in two locations that would be feasible for us to work with. I emailed them back saying that I was very interested and attached my resume and cover letter (for about the 15th time!). After conversing back and forth and getting the paperwork together for state licensure, a phone interview was scheduled for Thursday.

June 9, 2011: Thursday

I had a phone interview with one of the company employees. During this phone call, she asked what my top priorities were when choosing a company. After explaining that I value employee enthusiasm, team approach, and passion above a paycheck, I was told that I just described the company's mission statement. I was also told that I was "exactly the kind of person" they were looking for. I was ecstatic. The values they seek in an employee are the same ones I desired in an employer. I thought for sure that I would have to wait a few days to hear if I was going to have a second interview or not. That was not the case. An interview was set up at the end of our phone call. Eek!!

June 14, 2011: Tuesday

I had an interview with the company administrator and consultant. Andrew took off work to go with me to the interview as it was over an hour away, and it was also in an area that we had never been to. I couldn't be more grateful. The entire way, I was wound up tighter than a pistol. I really, really wanted this job... and I had never interviewed for a "big person" job before. As we pulled into the town, it was the first time since moving to New York, that I felt like I could make this area home. It was like St. Charles meets Cape Girardeau. Clean, safe, and beautiful. We both knew that this area is where we wanted me to work. We also knew that the surrounding area is where we would like to settle down.


As we approached the downtown common's outdoor seating area where my interview was supposed to take place, my nerves started to lessen. How quaint is this? Who could be nervous in this beautiful setting? To the left, there is an information center. We were an hour early, so we went inside. Inside here, there was an adorable coffee and sandwich shop. Since I hadn't had breakfast due to nervousness, I got a berry tart. After I had finished eating, I got a phone call from one of the ladies saying they were in the coffee shop and wanted to move the interview indoors since it was a bit on the chilly side. I told them I was already there, so we started the interview early.

I thought that my nervousness would come back, but I didn't realize how easy it would be to talk to two strangers about my love for the field of speech-language pathology. Halfway through the interview, one of them stopped me and said, "You have such a passion for this! It is obvious to us how much you love it." Wow! What a compliment. That put me on cloud 9. I have been telling Andrew that I just wanted someone to give me a chance here in New York, and to hear that my passion is evident in the way I talk was incredible. They then told me a little bit about the position and where it was located. The position is for a 120-bed skilled nursing facility. I would be the primary SLP, and the entire rehab staff is beginning on the same day! They encouraged me to drive by the skilled nursing facility before we left town.


At the end of the interview, they both shook my hand, told me it was so nice to meet me, and said they were going to make their decision very quickly. They told me I would know by Wednesday. So, an hour after the interview had started, I joined Andrew again. I think he could see the excitement radiating from my skin. I was too pumped NOT to be excited, but I also knew that if I didn't get the job, I would be devastated. It sounded like a perfect fit for both sides.


We left the cafe and had lunch in a downtown pizza shop. It was delicious! Plus- how awesome are these streets? I can just imagine that they are so fun to walk on a cool summer evening. The whole downtown area is this nice. We enjoy our lunch, talked about the interview, and prayed that I would get the job. We both knew in our hearts that it would be the perfect situation for me.


After lunch, we left the downtown area and drove by the skilled nursing facility. It is located right next to the hospital, and it is not too far from downtown. The streets are wide and everything appears to be safe. Again, I knew that if I was not hired, I would be very sad. Everything just seemed to fit what I had said I wanted.

After we had explored the surrounding areas some, my phone rang. Upon looking at the number, I knew that our future was about to go one way or another. The conversation went something like this:

"Hello, Abby!"

"Hi! How are you?"

"I'm good. Are you still exploring the area?"

"Yes!" (a little too excitedly)

"Do you think you could get used to it?"

"Yes!" (again, with too much enthusiasm)

"Good, because we just made our decision. It was a unamimous. You are the perfect fit for our team. We would like for you to be our SLP."

"Oh, my gosh! Thank you so much!"

More was said after this, but I was too excited to remember it all. Andrew said my face was bright red, and I was fighting back the tears while trying to stay professional. I was told that my acceptance letter would be sent to me that evening, and we hung up the phone after she told me again how excited they were to have me.

I knew that they were a perfect fit for ME, but I was honored to hear that they feel like I am a perfect fit for them!

When we arrived home after purchasing more moving boxes (yes, it's that time again!), my offer was in my inbox. I signed and returned it. Andrew and I continued to discuss what a great opportunity it was... and how God's hand has been in it from the very beginning.

June 15, 2011: Wednesday

I received a phone call from the administrator who interviewed me. She called just to say how excited she was to hear that I had accepted the position. She also said that the timing was just perfect for both of us. My paperwork will be in the mail soon, and they are going to take responsibility for much of what needs to be done to complete my clinical fellowship year!

Today, I am so thankful for the amazing opportunity God has set before me. I know he had to be laughing when I was frantically mailing my resume and cover letter, because he had something so much better in mind. I am now an employee of a great company- and I am so thankful that we will not have to relocate to another state for me to fulfill my CFY requirements. It's a perfect situation, and we are so thankful.

Now... I need to start packing! We have 20 days to find a home, pack, and relocate before I begin my new career! Thank you for taking the time to read this if you did. It was long, but I have had so many people congratulating me and asking for more details, that I thought it would be easiest to share this way. Thank you for all of your prayers and support.

God is GOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Abby,
    I am so happy for you and Andrew. God is so good! I am so thankful for your faithfulness in him. It truly is a great model for others. This new job is blessed to have you. You will have to keep me updated on how it all is working out for you. I believe the best part of all of this is knowing that God had this all in store for you and you recognize that. Give it all to God and great things are bound to happen. Love you!! and miss you more than you know. I would never wish another year of grad school on you, but I sure wish you were still around here! :) Good luck with your new career!!

    Ashley Durham

    ReplyDelete