31 March 2012

The Adventures of Flat Stanley

Our niece, Lexi, sent Flat Stanley to live with us a few weeks ago for a project she's doing at school.


When Flat Stanley arrived, he was in dire need of a wardrobe, but the man was starving! He enjoyed a bratwurst (or two!) before dressing up for his new family.


After the guy had food in his belly, he was excited to change into something a bit more decent. He was a pretty good sport while I fretted over what he should wear.


After he was dressed, he begged us to let him put Sophia to sleep. He really enjoyed singing to her while they were in her swing. She must have liked him, too, because she was asleep in no time!


After he got Sophia asleep, he wanted to make breakfast for the next morning with Andrew. He did a great job making the omlets! He was a pretty big help the entire time he was in our home.


Each day, Flat Stanley would help me make my lunch. I was so glad he was here to help since I normally have my hands full with Sophia. He made sure that I had enough nutrition each day... but, he'd also let me sneak a treat or two.


Flat Stanley also got to be with me when I spotted our first "friend" of the season. In our household, we call wild woodchucks "friends". We have several that live under our shed, and they ventured out on an unseasonably warm day! We were both very excited to see him! He's gotten much fatter since last year.


Flat Stanley also helped me do dishes throughout the week. He would dry them as I washed them. I tried to get him to put them away, but they were too heavy for his frail body. I didn't want to crush him (again!), so I told him that Andrew could put them away when he got home. Flat Stanley was very thankful for this.


We let Flat Stanley drive us to church on Sundays. He really enjoyed the worship music while he was there, and he thought the sermons were excellent. The last few weeks at church have focused on Jesus' teachings, and Flat Stanley was captivated by the messages.


Flat Stanley was really happy to be here during really nice weather. He thought the waterfalls in the area were really pretty. He liked Montour Falls a lot.


Flat Stanley got to go with us on Sophia's first outdoor walk. He was pretty proud that he got to share this moment with us. He didn't want to push the stroller though. He said that he would rather just ride and enjoy the time with Sophia. He went on several walks with us at the mall on the weekends, but he asked me to only share a picture of his outdoor walk.


Flat Stanley also got to go with me and Sophia on our first (and second!) mother-daughter outing. Each time, we visited my co-workers and Sophia's daycare. He really liked the rehab setting, and he approves of the daycare we have chosen for Sophia. He says he feels comfortable with her going there- and that says a lot. He's pretty protective over our little girl.

Flat Stanley is feeling rather blue today. I told him that he will be returning to Missouri this week. He is very excited to be reunited with Lexi, but he says he is really going to miss his New York family. It has been a lot of fun to have him tag along in the diaper bag. We are very honored that we were chosen to host Flat Stanley. It was a lot of fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment