12 February 2010

best valentine's gift... ever.


For those of you who know me have heard my rant on Valentine's Day time and time again. Though I am no longer enraged by this overly commercialized day of love, I do not take much stock in it. If anything, I find great amusement in aisles dripping with red and pink hearts, the smell of icing and chocolate permeating the air, and guys frantically trying to live up to their significant other's expectations- and often failing. Why should they have to work so hard? Isn't showing their love throughout the year enough? Apparently not.

I get the comment "But, Abby... you have a fiance!!!" often when I turn my nose up at this sickenly sweet holiday. They just don't understand how I, the princess of a real life fairytale, could despise this holiday so much. One person who does understand me: Steve... my stepdad. He is a wonderful man in so many ways, but at this time each year, he really outshines most. For many years he bought me flowers (which I secretly loved), but last year he really outdid himself.

He found the world's best conversation hearts. They are conversation hearts for the dumped, dejected, and best of all, dysfunctional. They are perfect. With messages such as: "I don't care." "Call a shrink." "Nightmare." "Eat my dust." My life is complete... ok, that's extreme, but I look forward to this package arriving. It did today.

I have thrown myself into many coughing fits because I've laughed so hard at this perfect gift. I love having someone who not only understand me, but also fuels my fire.

Thank you, Steve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment