17 April 2010

Bucket List: Places I'd Love to Live

I had the strangest, coolest dream last night. I completed graduate school, passed all of my final licensing exams and requirements, and it was time for me (and Andrew- though he never made an appearance in my dream- it was just implied) to decide where to live. Where to raise a family. Where to grow old together. At no point in time was the decision made, but my dream consisted of images playing through my head of beautiful landscapes, adorable cottages, and friendly smiles. I woke up this morning with a warm and fuzzy feeling, and my dream left me wondering: where would I like to live someday? So, I remained in my cozy bed and started a bucket list- which I am now putting it into blog form, complete with pictures.

Places I Would Love to Live:


Alaska.

I can just picture it now: a cozy cabin nestled in the woods with a beautiful mountain view. An occasional moose or bear in the landscape, and a beautifully starlit nighttime sky.



That is, unless the aurora borealis is lighting up the nighttime sky. I would love to see this phenomenon sometime in my life. And, I think I would truly love to live in Alaska. Yes, I know that there are 6 months of daylight and 6 months of darkness... give or take a few months, but think of all the experiences and adventures to be had here! Oh, the possibilities!



Colorado.

Yes, it is another mountain state. Yet again, I can picture myself curled up on the couch on a cold winter day with a fire in the fireplace, warm cocoa in my mug, and a book in my hand. When children start to come along, I can picture myself bundling them up, making warm cocoa on the stove like my momma did for me, camera in my hand, and a warmness in my heart.

Another quaint state and another place that I would absolutely love to call home someday. Again, there are so many possibilities to be had, and there are so many opportunities for raising a family and employment in Colorado.



Wyoming.

Yet another mountain state, BUT, I can absolutely see myself raising a family on a Wyoming ranch. Wide open spaces, lots of room to run and explore, and the possibility of running a ranch that could possibly help children with special needs. This is my ultimate dream.

Children with special needs can thrive off of a ranch setting... The calm nature of the setting, the rhythm of the horse, and the ability to participate in functional activities. My husband could keep the ranch nice and running, my sister, Zoe, could administer horse therapy, my sister, Miranda, could give music therapy, and I could provide speech-language therapy for these individuals. The rest of our families could pitch in their special skills... My momma could photograph each special moment, my future mother-in-law could provide her nursing expertise, my sister-in-law could teach them how to cook and plan a party, and our dads could provide a strong work ethic and keep our bills under control.

A far-fetched dream? Possibly. But, it is a dream. I always wanted to open a home for children with special needs, but a ranch they could visit and learn from would be absolutely acceptable.

Maybe, just maybe, this dream can come true.



The Ozarks.

The Ozark Mountains are also a breathtaking possibility. I love the rolling hills, the lush vegetation, and the overall breathtaking view.

This location is not high on my list of places that I would want to live, but it is a place that I would consider, and I think I would learn to love it over time.



Southeast Missouri.

I could picture myself living on a farm in southeast Missouri. Afterall, the landscape is beautiful, the people are friendly, and quite frankly, it's the closest to where I was raised. It is the most comfortable of the options, and it is also the most logical. But, is it what is best? I don't know.

The pull to keep me in southeast Missouri is the fact that it is closer to our families. However, I believe that my heart will always be yearning to live elsewhere. Another pull to keep me in this area is Cape County Cowboy Church. Andrew and I have developed a deep love for this church, and God is working through the people of this church in an incredible way. It would be hard to leave this church and trust that we will find another one that we love so much. But, I know that God will provide and care for us no matter where we go.

In the long run, no matter where I live, no matter where I end up, I know that five things are for sure...

1. I will take God's love with me. He will always be the rock I stand on and the one that I place my trust in. With Him, all things are possible.

2. I will have my husband by my side. I will have his love and support, and we can truly make any place a home.

3. I will eventually have a family of my own that will help make the most uncertain places feel like they are right where I need to be.

4. I will have the love of two families surrounding us. No matter where we are, I know that they will visit and fill our home with laughter.

5. I can find my dream job anywhere. If I look hard enough, I know I will be able to find a place I'm passionate about it.

So, in the long run, does it matter where I end up? Yes and no. I would love to adventure out, and I do not want to end up in our hometowns, but I also know that I can make any place a home with the help of the five items listed above. In the end, it all comes down to three things.

God.

Family.

Willingness.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, it is.

    But, it's also so hard to yearn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,my goodness! "As the twig is bent, so grows the tree!" You, my dear, have internalized your mother's dreams! I say let's all strive for that ranch!!!!

    Have you ever read about Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch? Kim Meeder, owner and founder, has written several books about her experiences there. Start by reading Hope Rising, if you haven't already read it. Kim and her husband began by rescuing a piece of wasteland that had been damaged and abused. They brought it back to life by rescuing plants and trees from nurseries, etc., that were ready for the trash pile. The land eventually recovered, so they moved on to rescue horses that had been abused and neglected. Ultimately, they began using the ranch and horses to offer therapy to children with special needs. Very, very heartwarming story, and a cool model to consider in honing your bucket list!

    www.crystalpeaksyouthranch.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom,

    That sounds truly amazing. It is something I will have to check out. But, I am afraid to get my hopes up, because I am fairly convinced it's intangible dream.

    This blog is my favorite so far, and I am so blessed by the dream I had last night. I truly will be savoring the food for thought I've been given!

    Here's to dreaming, hoping, trusting, and praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this blog!! Thomas went to Alaska two years ago and loved it! His pictures are beautiful and he said it was crazy because it was light the whole time he was there, so even at 3 am it was sunny out!

    I love your dream of opening a ranch for kids! You would be amazing at it! And I agree, family makes no matter where you live feel like home.

    However, I vote for Colorado :) Since I never plan on leaving San Diego, we could visit each other, you in the mountains, me at the beach :) Don't base your decision on me though lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I need to start looking into:
    1.Red Dog Nickel Mine, AK
    2.Cripple Creek Gold Mine, CO
    3.One of the Powder River Basin coal mines, WY
    4.Doe Run PbCuZn Mines, MO
    5.Delta Quarry, MO

    I can work where ever there is a mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes...

    AK

    CO

    WY

    works just fine for me!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dream Abby! I have no doubt that with your positive attitude, faith in God, and love for you husband all your dreams will come true :) You're a ray of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete