04 May 2010

Reminded

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank...but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child."   - Forest Witchcraft


I often get discouraged in my major. The classes are difficult, the teachers can be demeaning, and I'm tired all of the time from constantly running around. I know that I often complain about the bad things in this major... and rightfully so. However, I live for moments like today.

Moments when I'm reminded.

Moments when I'm encouraged.

Moments when all of my hard work and dedication pay off.

Moments when I'm told that I have made a difference.



I have worked with a young boy this semester. We have worked to increase his intelligibilty... and to simply extend his length of utterances. He came to the clinic using maybe two word sentences. Though we have a long way to go with him, he made incredible progress.

Today, at the parent conference, his mom started telling me, with tears rolling down her face, how much my efforts have meant to her and her family. She explained that I have helped to completely changed their lifestyle. She thanked me again and again for making their family stronger... better... closer.

I cannot say that it is all me. It's not. This little boy is extremely intelligent. And, he's had a lot of prayers said for him this semester by his clinician. : ) I have taken special interest in this family, and it meant the world to me to hear that what I have tried to do has not gone unnoticed.

Once again; however, this family has changed my life in ways that I never could have imagined. They thank me for all of my efforts, but they deserve the thanks. To watch a family love each other, fight for each other, and believe in each other was an incredible thing for me to witness.

They are truly wonderful.

And, once again, God has reminded me exactly why I am in this career path. Once again, I have been reminded to not focus on the difficult aspects... the discouraging moments... but to relish the gems that are handed out every once in a while. Most often they come at the perfect time.

2 comments:

  1. Coming from the other side, I know I can say this with some "authority", that having people like you in our child's life is SO comforting. I can't tell you how often I have felt completely lost...but knowing that someone knows the way makes things a little better.

    You're going to be a great SLP Abby, of that I am positive. If you ever need some encouraging you know where to find some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Ashley!!

    Please remember- if someone has made an absolute difference in Tucker's life or your family's life- please tell them. It can make all the difference in the world.

    We so often get barked at, ordered around, and we constantly have new things piled on. But, to hear that all of my hard work meant something to this family motivates me to continue doing my absolute best.

    So, please tell them! We need encouragement too!!!

    ReplyDelete