21 October 2010

Abby's Favorite Chili

... or so it's named in the cookbook my mom compiled for me. I would have named it something along the lines of "World's Most Amazing Chili... Hands-Down". If you can catch the slightest hint, I love my mom's chili more than any other chili out there. Chili is a touchy food item... and people have very specific tastes for what they do and do not like about chili. To each his own- but, this is by far my favorite. Although, if someone is going to offer me a bowl of chili, I'll take it. It's one of my favorite food groups. Yes, it is its own food group.

I will share so you, too, can enjoy!

Ingredients:



2 pounds ground turkey (beef or deer is also tasty)
1 large onion, chopped
4 T. chili powder (more or less to taste- go with more!)
5 dashes garlic powder (I now know where I get my recipe terms!!)
3 cans beef broth (the richer the better- this is where name brand items is ok)
46 ounce can tomato juice (I used diced tomatoes)
4 cans Bush's red beans
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 cans light right kidney beans
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation:

In a large pot, brown meat and chopped onion. Add chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper while browning.


When meat is thoroughly cooked, drain. Add beef broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.

Add all beans.

Simmer.


Continue to simmer for at least two hours... the longer the better.

Stir often.

Serve:


Serve and topwith shredded cheese, if desired.

And... for the more disgusting eaters (ha!)...


Boil elbow macaroni and serve with chili for Chili Mac.

Just kidding about the disgusting part- I just don't understand why people ruin a perfectly delicious bowl of chili. But, many people do- including those I love the most. So, I'm slowly growing to accept this strange food choice.

In closing... I received an awesome compliment last night. A young lady who I know from my hometown posted on facebook asking for a recipe using bananas. I instantly thought of my mom's banana bread recipe and shared with her.

She not only bought new pans just to make this banana bread, but she posted the following comment:

"Abby- I'm VERY excited, I've decided I'm going to start baking something new at least once a week! You've inspired me with your blogs =]"

I have readers that I don't even know about, and in a small way, it's nice to know that I'm inspiring people to try new things! I am very touched that I am the go-to recipe girl for many people out there in cyber world!

So, with that... enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment