10 October 2010

Adventures with Gato

The activities of this weekend were lots of fun... and somewhat surprising. Last night, while in Petco, Andrew did something I thought he would never do. He decided that Gato needed a leash- and bought one. Theodore loves to be outside, and Andrew is normally the one to bring him out. Now Theodore is able to explore without us worrying about him running away.


We brought the leash and harness home and decided to introduce him to the idea slowly.


He was way snotty- and wanted nothing to do with it.


I finally talked him into exploring the concept.


The leash was fun!


We thought that he was going to be ok with the harness.


He even played with it a bit.


And then it got to be too much...


He fought...


And fought...


And fought...


It was loose enough for him to get out. Victory!


We tightened the straps, let him have a night to adjust, and then we took him out this morning after church.


He's getting used to it...


I'm trying to convince him that it's ok.


Sweet talking him into exploring.


Still trying to encourage exploration.


Nope. He's not having it. BUT- the grass is pretty tasty!

After exploring the neighbor's yard, treeing a squirrel, and pouncing on bugs, he decided he had had enough sensory input. It was time to go inside. He strutted around like the manly hunter that he is for the next hour or so. It was pretty cute.


Round two. We've made it to pavement now. Isn't he beautiful?!


Aunt Miranda was able to talk him into walking on pavement.


My turn! I'm WALKING my cat. I think this is hilarious!


He enjoyed exploring.


We're going to be good walking buddies.


Grass still tops the pavement- and he's quite the bug hunter.


I love this shot that Aunt Miranda took! He's enjoying an afternoon snack.


Look! We've even taught him how to sit! HAHA- yeah right!

He's not 100% sold on the idea of a harness and leash, but he does LOVE having the ability to explore the great outdoors. He loves to be outside, and now he can experience it firsthand. It was honestly like we were setting him free- kind of.

If anything, it provides great entertainment for me!

8 comments:

  1. Your cat is so funny and cute! I had so much fun seeing him when I came to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!

    Thanks, Heather! I like him!

    He really enjoyed your visit as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I've always wanted to walk mine. But I would look like a "cat walker". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, Jen!

    You should try it... it's absolutely, without a doubt, very entertaining!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it funny that he "meows" my name now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fear after getting them all ready, I would be worn out and not wanting to take a walk anymore...besides...I also worry about them being outside where the fleas are. Fleas+kitties=horribleness for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. girl i take my cat useless out side on the leash all the time this way she gets her outside time (since she is de clawed and we live up town) and i don't have to worry about her running away and charlie just thinks its a hoot to see a cat on a leash lol.. most of the time he is walking her.

    ReplyDelete