20 October 2010

Mexican Casserole: Yum!

My good friend and bridesmaid, Andrea, introduced me to this delicious, easy recipe. I made a few changes to the original recipe, and I'm glad that I did. It is definitely a winner in our household!!

Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground turkey (or beef)
1/2 onion, chopped
3/4 bag of frozen corn
1 can low-fat refried beans
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can chopped green chiles
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 flour tortillas
3 cups shredded Mexican cheese
1 bottle taco sauce

Preparation:


Mix cream of mushroom soup, enchilada sauce, and green chiles in a large bowl.


Cut tortillas into strips.


Layer in a 9 x 13 baking pan.


Mix ground turkey, onion, and taco sauce in a large skillet.


Brown. Add corn when almost completely cooked.


Spread a layer of refried beans on each tortilla strip.


Layer with beef and corn.

Soup mixture.

Cheese.


Repeat layering until all ingredients are used. The last layer should be tortilla shells.


Pour taco sauce over last layer of tortilla shells.

Top with the remainder of the cheese.


Bake at 375 degrees, uncovered, until bubbly.


Remove and cool.


Serve and garnish with a dallop of sour cream!

Muy bueno!!


6 comments:

  1. omg.. this sounds delicious and I'm not even a huge mexican fan. lol Don't know about that cream of mushroom part though. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon-

    You can't taste the cream of mushroom... it just makes the sauce extra creamy and thick. I promise. It's way good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna try this :) thanks Abby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how you like it, Brittany!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Pokeno girls are in for a treat! Thanks, Abby!

    ReplyDelete