19 October 2010

Honored

A month ago, I was asked to do something that I haven't really done before. A friend from home asked me if I would create two Christmas arrangements to place on her mother's gravesite this year. A little over a year and a half ago, Ashley lost her mom. I was deeply honored that she asked me to create these incredibly special arrangements.

The Project:


She asked me to create an arrangement to go in the center of the tombstone and another one to be placed on the ground in front.

The Inspiration:


Isn't this picture incredible? It served as my inspiration and motivation for this project. Thank you, Ashley, for letting me use it for this blog.

I did not personally know Debbie Sites, but I have known Ashley for much of my life. I know that Debbie had a wonderful spirit just by what I've witnessed in Ashley. Ashley is a great woman, an incredible mom and advocate for her son, Tucker, and just an all-around good person. Moreover, she is as artistic as they come... which presented even more pressure to get this project right!

The Product:

Ashley had very specific requests when she placed her order. She wanted it to be fun, different, wacky, and creative. I tossed around several ideas... but, I finally decided to go with wacky with a touch of class. This is what I ended up with...


This arrangment was created to be placed in front of the tombstone. It is so much prettier in person when you can see it sparkle in the sunlight. Every piece used has sparkle of some sort, and it's so eye-catching! I am really pleased with how it turned out.


After looking at the arrangement a little bit more in person and on my blog, I decided that it needed a little something extra. So, I added another poinsettia and a little more bling. It looks 100% better, and I'm now pleased enough with it to give to Ashley. I feel like I can always make changes and improvements, but I'm fairly certain this one is finished now!


This one is to be placed in the center spot of the tombstone. I did not want this arrangement to sink into the stone and get lost, so I created it to be tall. It's hard to tell by the picture because it's in a glass jar for picture purposes, but it was assembled in a small cylinder container that will (hopefully!) fit into the hole created specifically for arrangements. This one presented more of a challenge than the bigger one, but I'm also very happy with how it turned out. Once again, it sparkles like crazy too!

I am very excited with how these arrangements turned out. Out of all of my projects, these have been the most important to me. To be trusted with such a special request boggled my mind and humbled me. It was an honor to work with Ashley on this order, and I hope that I fulfilled it beyond her expectations.

Thank you, Ashley. Your family and your mom are in my prayers and on my mind throughout this upcoming holiday season.

4 comments:

  1. Girl you so should start your own flower business it can be worth it.. I will be ordering for my grandfather from the flowers of Jefferson berricks.com I have been ordering from them since Memorial Day 05 and they make a beautiful arrangements and place it on his grave and send me pics. But its not the same I have no way to do that for my Bethem's who has been gone 3 years 2 weeks ago.. So you doing this for her had to of ment so much. The were gourgous girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rachelle!! I'm not lying when I say this was an incredible honor. I am so happy when other people appreciate my crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now it was my turn to get all teart-eyed. They look gorgeous! I can't wait till it gets closer to Christmas and I can "show" them to my mom. I know she would have loved them, just like me. Thank you so much for your time, and careful consideration...the exact reasons why I went to you. It has been an experience I know I could not have received just anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley-

    You gave me goosebumps.

    THANK YOU!

    ... for your trust.
    ... for your order.
    ... for everything!

    ReplyDelete