17 June 2010

Sweet Connections

Two days after the wedding, Andrew was put on night shift for his internship. This means that as I am getting home, he is leaving. Sometimes our paths cross- that's wonderful. Also, he gets home late, which means I'm sleeping soundly after a long night of thank you cards, looking at wedding pictures, and doing homework.

Last Friday, I didn't have school. We were between the pre-session and regular summer session. That meant that I did not have to get up early- which made the wheels in my head start spinning...

Then, as Andrew was getting ready for work, he commented on one thing that he really missed more than anything else. What was that, you may ask? Well... he missed having a fresh out of the oven meal with his wife. He missed sitting at the dinner table with me. He missed my homecooking.

As a newlywed, this melted my heart. And, I simply could not stand by and let this feeling go on. So, I set out to fix it. I took an hour nap to regroup from finals that day, and then I got to work making a homemade lasagna. Yum!

I prepared the lasagna ahead of time so that all I would have to do an hour before he was due home is pop it in the oven to bake to perfection. What a good idea!


Here is the bubbling lasagna. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm!!


I also set the table nicely. For picture purposes, the lights are on. But, when Andrew walked through the door, the lights were all off, and the candles were light. I poured glasses of sparkling grape juice and just waited for him to walk through the door!

When he came in, his face lit up! It was the cutest thing ever- he was so excited to be able to share a homecooked me with me!

I believe my reward was much greater though- I love giving rather than receiving. It made my heart feel so good to know that I had done something that meant so much to him! It was such a great evening!

Then...


I got home the other day to a much cleaner house, all of our new cube organizers were put together, the bed was made, the dishes were done, and this sweet note was left on my pillow!!

Despite the fact that he's working so hard to earn a living for us right now, he understands that I am also busy with school work. These little reminders... and little acts of kindess go such a long way with us.

We have to reach out to each other in this way- we have to do little things here and there so that we stay connected. Although he is almost done with the night shift, it's been difficult having to be apart right after the wedding. But, we've done such a great job staying connected throughout the week, and truthfully, I've really enjoyed being able to spoil him from time to time. He deserves it.

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Too sweet! And your dinners always look SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete