03 February 2011

Impromptu Veggie Soup

On Tuesday, I realized that I didn't have anything cooked for supper... and I didn't have much in my pantry or freezer to cook. I knew that I didn't want to eat out that night, so I began digging. I soon realized that I had a hodge podge of ingredients, but I decided I had just enough to make a pot of veggie soup. It was about an hour before my class was scheduled to begin, so I quickly got to work. After putting the soup together, I was a little nervous about how it would turn out. Upon arriving home, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out!


Here's what I found in my pantry and freezer to use:

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can tomato sauce
1 can beef broth
4 beef buillon cubes
1 small onion
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen carrots
1 bag frozen peas
1 pound deer meat
Garlic powder
Garlic salt
Salt and Pepper to taste

Here's what I did with it all:

Brown meat and onion in medium skillet.

Dump all ingredients into crockpot.

Sprinkle top with garlic powder and garlic salt.

Add salt and pepper.

Mix well. Cover.

Heat on high for 4 hours.


Yum! This soup has some kick because of the green chiles and pepper. It was oh-so-tasty, and it helped me clean my freezer and pantry out! I swung by the store on the way home and purchased some Hawaiian rolls to eat with it... that made it even better!

Funny thing? I'm adding this recipe to my cookbook today!
Oh, and how do people make just a small pot of soup? That's something I can't quite figure out! Oh well... over half of it is now frozen and ready for a later date!


2 comments: