25 February 2011

Unrivaled Broccoli Cheese Soup

I have been craving broccoli so bad for a week or so now. Broccoli and fish. Weird, I know. Anyway, the other night, I was so desperate for broccoli, that I picked all of the broccoli pieces out of a bag of frozen stirfry I had in the fridge. I knew then that I needed to do something about this craving.

Yesterday was chilly and rainy. Nothing sounds better on those kind of days than a hot bowl of soup. Broccoli cheese soup. The only problem? I needed a stellar recipe. When talking with my friend, Andrea, she said that she had the perfect recipe for me. Since she has given me awesome recipes in the past that have been blog worthy (mexican lasagna and reuben sandwiches), I knew she wouldn't steer me wrong.


Ingredients:

1 bunch broccoli (I used 2)
1/2 cup butter (I used olive oil butter)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 (10 ounces) cans chicken broth
1/4-1/2 block Velveeta cheese, cubed
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preparation:

Cut broccoli into flourets and steam, set aside
Cook onions in butter until tender and transparent
Stir in flour and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continously
Add milk slowly, continue stirring
Stir in grated cheese until smooth
Slowly blend chicken broth into pot
Add Velveeta cheese and stir until melted
Add broccoli

Simmer and stir occassionally for about 15 minutes

Tips:


Begin cooking the onion and butter first.


Then, cut the broccoli into flourets and steam.


While the onion and broccoli are cooking, get the rest of your ingredients ready to go. You will need them handy because the process goes fairly quickly, and you'll be busy stirring.


I didn't let the soup simmer for very long. I just waited until it was hot throughout. I was too impatient to wait.

I'm telling you, I will never make another broccoli cheese soup recipe after trying this one. It is absolutely delicious. I must be honest and admit that I ate two bowls of soup last night.

I'm also enjoying a bowl as I type this.

I hope you enjoy it as well!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Plus, it didn't have all those preservatives like the dehydrated bags do. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna- It's fabulous. Simply fabulous.

    Ramona- I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

    ReplyDelete