21 March 2011

Exploring New York

Since Andrew had to work all week, we didn't get to do much exploring during that time. It was a shame, too, because the weather was so pretty. On Saturday, the temperature dropped quite a bit, but that didn't keep us from getting out. We went the "back way" to Auburn, saw Owasco Lake, roamed around Auburn, made the trek to Seneca Falls, and then made a couple of stops along Cayuga Lake on the way home.

Drive to Auburn:



This waterfall was literally in this backyard. They had a cute bridge going over the stream, however, I couldn't capture everything in the picture. Andrew informed me that I was already being enough of a creepster. I have revoked their privileges to live here, and we will be moving into this home in May.

Owasco Lake:


Beautiful roadside park. This is the lake where Andrew went ice fishing. It's simply stunning! I cannot wait to see it again when everything is green and in bloom.

Seneca Falls:

Rumor has it that It's a Wonderful Life was based off of this town. At first, we were afraid that Bedford Falls had turned into Pottersville, but after a bit more exploration, we were pleased with what we saw.


We didn't walk very far along the canal because it was so cold, but they have benches every few feet and it looks like it would be very pleasant to stroll along here on a mid summer night. We will return!


I thought this old knitting mill was really cool. It is located on the other side of the canal.


This little cafe is named ZuZu's Cafe... ZuZu is George Bailey's daughter in the movie. Many references to the classic can be seen along town. I look forward to visiting Seneca Falls again when we can spend more time discovering the hot spots.

Cayuga Lake:




I blogged about this lake on our last trip to New York. This lake is less than 15 minutes from our home, and it is the lake we drive along when we go into town. It is also the lake that is above Andrew's work.

Isn't it stunning? Again, I cannot wait to see it when everything is green and full of life!

Roadside:



Andrew spotted another roadside waterfall. I am in heaven!! Waterfalls are one of my favorite natural landmarks, and I am SO excited to live in a state that has so many. I do not think I will ever get sick of seeing them. They're gorgeous!!


The rays of light were absolutely gorgeous as we were headed home after a day full of adventures. There are endless possibilities to sight-see in New York. I can't wait to get started!

One more thing... after seeing all of this beauty, it's hard for me to imagine a skyline filled with skyscrapers. It's like two totally different worlds... and I am glad we're living in the pretty one.



1 comment:

  1. If you were a travel agent, your phone would be ringing off the hook with people wanting to book vacations to the Finger Lakes region of New York after reading your blog. Beautiful pictures! I'm excited that the first time we'll see the area, everything will be green. I just wish it weren't so FAR away!!!!

    ReplyDelete