24 May 2011

Latest Addiction

I have been shunning eReaders for a long, long time now. I have held true to the belief that I only like to read a book when I can feel the printed pages, turn each page on my own, and smell the distinct scent of the printed text. To me, that was a large part of the experience of reading.

Earlier this month, I was forced to re-evaluate my beliefs when we got the news that my mom is going to be a published author for Tyndale House Publishers. She has been in the process of getting her novel, Delivery, published for a long time now, and God's timing is now!

For the first time ever, electronic book sales have surpassed print. The market is swinging more toward eReaders as technology advances by leaps and bounds. My mom was chosen as one of five authors to be published first in digital format. If her book sells well digitally, it will most likely be moved to print.

As one who has believed in this book from the very beginning, I was a bit disappointed. Selfish, I know, but I wanted SO BADLY to read this book in the published format. Sure, I've read it eight times now, but that's not the same. Also, I could have very well downloaded the free Kindle app on my computer or iPhone (which I did), but something told me it wouldn't be the same as having a Kindle.

Soo...


I broke down and got one for graduation! It was waiting on me when we arrived in New York.


I also got a chic yellow leather cover for it. Too fun!


Doesn't it look good nestled in there? I need a picture or something for the clear pocket on the left side.

I couldn't wait to set it up, so when I got a break from the madness of moving, I did just that. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and user friendly it was! Within a matter of minutes, I was reading my first book via eReader.


Another thing that I like about it? I didn't fully understand a word, and I was able to instantly look it up via my Kindle. This was TOO cool, and I think it's an excellent feature.

I am very excited about this contraption, and I am even more excited to read my mom's novel on it! It is due for release on July 1, and I will be ready! I would recommend one of these to any reader out there... they're worth it!



3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read her book on our nook. I believe she would have let me already, but I didn't want to until I could pay for it. :o)

    Congrats on your Kindle

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been contemplating the Kindle for a while, Abby. You (and your Mom's publishing deal) make a compelling argument!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you ordered one, Alex!! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete