09 May 2011

Welcome, Little Freaks!

Sadly, my turtle doves lost their babies a week before they were due to hatch. I blame a snake, Andrew says it was probably the owl that lives in my bradford pear. I think he says that so I won't freak out about a snake.

The fatherless robins hatched this week though! They are some freaky looking babies too... especially when they stretch their little necks out to get food! I wish that I could capture a picture when the momma is feeding them, but she isn't too fond of me. We don't have the same bond that I had with Ellie Mae.

Anyway, she was off of her nest today, so I decided to take a few pictures. Please pardon the blurriness... it's hard to take pictures when you're dodging a mad momma!


See the little eye and pointy beak?


I cut the head off of one in this picture. Their beaks are crazy looking!


Here they both are! They look so snug in there. I think the one in back is getting squashed though. After taking these pictures, I realized that they do have feathers. That makes them cuter. When they have their necks stretched out, they look bald. So, maybe they aren't really freaks.


So sweet. I cannot imagine having 3-5 baby birds in there! Robins normally have 3-5, and this one only had two. That's probably good, because this nest is full.

I wish them the best... I only have another week with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment