06 July 2010

Celebrating Freedom

"We have this day restored the Sovereign to Whom all men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven, and from the rising to the setting of the sun, let His kingdom come."
Samuel Adams
1854

Samuel Adams spoke these words after signing the Declaration of Independence. Our founders, and those who fought the Revolutionary War, did so in order for us to have freedom from Britain. More importantly, they fought so that we could be a Christian nation without persecution. Although our country has strayed away from its foundation, I believe that our founding fathers knew what they were doing. God has given us the opportunity to live in a country where we can freely express ourselves. The 4th of July means so much to me. I respect the men and women who sacrifice their lives for our freedom, I am thankful for the founding fathers, and most of all, I am so grateful that God has blessed this great country even though we do not deserve all that He has given us.


Andrew and I celebrated our first holiday as a married couple this past weekend. We had all kinds of big plans to spend it at home with each other, but Andrew cancelled our holiday plans after we attended Cowboy Church. We decided that it would be much more meaningful if we visited our families. So, we packed up and left. The closer we got to my hometown, the more excited I got! I hadn't seen my family since the wedding, and I was (am!) missing them like crazy!


We surprised my mom, stepdad, and sister with our visit. We hitched a ride with my dad and his family, so we couldn't surprise them. But, the look on my sister's face was priceless!! I soooooo enjoyed seeing her! I've been so lonesome for her, and it was great to spend time with her.


We all enjoyed some homemade kettle corn, and I think my husband enjoyed it a little too much!! He sure can make us laugh!

The fireworks that we saw were gorgeous. First Baptist of Arnold puts on an amazing, Christian-based festival. I am so glad my brother, Tyler, extended the invitation to us!









The photos are courtesy of my stepdad, Steve. As I said, the fireworks were awesome. They were, by far, the most vibrant fireworks I have ever seen. They were so colorful and beautiful!!

As they burst in the night sky, I thought of the Star Spangled Banner, and I couldn't have been prouder to be an American! I am going to devote time daily to pray that our country turns back to its roots. We live in an amazing country, and my hope and prayer for this country is that we, as Christians, show Christ's love to all.

Once again...

God bless America!! I am so blessed to call this country home!

No comments:

Post a Comment