10 July 2010

Life Lessons... From a Plant?

I have lived away from home for almost three years now. Three years ago, when I moved into my new home, Andrew's cousin gave me a mandevilla that she couldn't take with her when she moved. Unfortunately, she moved away the same week I moved into town. I guess I really am THAT bad. ; )

Anyways, she gave me a gorgeous mandevilla that she had purchased from the local university.


Each year, I bring it inside for the winter. This picture was taken the first winter- 2007- that I had it. After all of the blooms fall, I cut the mandevilla back to three inches above the soil. I water it occassionally through the winter months.

As spring nears, it starts to sprout back to life. This is always an exciting time.


Three summers later, this mandevilla is still blooming as beautifully as ever!


I am just in awe that a plant can grow back year after year... after being chopped to merely three inches... and still be absolutely stunning.

Plants truly are a miracle. They are, in my opinion, one of God's greatest creations. I love watching plants as they change and grow throughout the season, and I love being able to save this gorgeous plant year after year.

To me, this plant represents our lives and how we should act towards other people.

You see, during much of the year, this plant is not very beautiful. In fact, for several months, it's absolutely ugly. Despite its appearance, I choose to care for it, nurture it, and keep it safe. Then, in the summer, all of my efforts to care for this plant become evident with its beauty.


We, too, are completely ugly sometimes. Our behavior is not very becoming, and we are often less than loveable. Yet, with Christ's help, we can choose to love each other. Only when we are nurtured and loved unconditionally does the true beauty show through.

I am so blessed to have this visual reminder of Christ's love for us... and how we should act towards one another.

So- please remember, even if someone you love is being less than loveable, love them. Care for them. Nurture them. They may just surprise you like this plant does me and give you the most incredibly gorgeous gift ever.

And, yes, this is a lesson that I needed to learn. I couldn't have picked a better way to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment