21 July 2010

Edible Alfredo?

As I mentioned previously, Andrew helped pick the menu this week. One request he had was pasta. I make pasta quite often... with red sauce. I do not care for alfredo sauce, but I thought I would switch things up and serve tortellini with alfredo for once. Come to find out, Andrew meant he just wanted a different noodle. I think he's given up on ever getting alfredo sauce if I'm cooking.

Anyways, back to my original story, I wasn't thrilled to serve alfredo sauce, but what does one meal matter? Well, I woke up yesterday and had a complete revelation! Why not spice up the sauce and MAKE it edible?! The solution? Bacon and peas! Yes, this sounded like the answer!

I ran by Schnucks on my way home and bought 1/4 of a pound of fresh bacon- you know, the super yummy kind? The thick, tasty, delicious type? Yes, that kind.

Before putting it in the sauce, I cut it into small pieces and then cooked it. This reduced cooking time significantly.


After the bacon was done, I combined two cans of lite parmesan alfredo, 1/4 cup of peas, 1/4 pound of bacon, and a spoonful of bacon grease into a small sauce pan. Was adding the bacon grease the most healthy option? No, but it sure did make the alfredo sauce tasty! I then covered the sauce and let it cook on low for 45 minutes.

While the sauce was cooking, I started on the side dish.


These yummy potatoes are a breeze to bake! I simply cut new potatoes in half, brushed them with olive oil, sprinkled them with salt and pepper, added a touch of rosemary, and then dusted them with fresh parmesan cheese. I then baked them at 450 for 35 minutes... or until they were tender throughout.


While these were baking and the sauce was cooking, I started boiling a large pot of water for the tortellini. I wish that I could say that I made these from scratch, but it's so much easier to buy the colorful package fresh from the local grocery store. Not only are they easy to make (simply boil for 7-9 minutes), but they are very good!

Everything finished cooking around the same time. Cooking really does take some thought to make sure everything is done at once. I have a new appreciation for all of the work my mom has done over the years to create a huge family meal. It's a true science to figure out how to make sure everything is done, hot, and not burnt in time to serve it all at once. Crazy!


The finished product! Yes, this is my plate. Notice my extra large serving of tortellini with alfredo sauce?! I think I have finally found a way that I will eat (and thoroughly enjoy!) alfredo!

Tonight's dinner? Sloppy Joes (complete with my homemade sauce) and parmesan yellow squash. Speaking of which, I better get started!!

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. I made chicken alfrado two nights ago lol but i use the jar lol it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, I have a recipe for tortellini with a cream cheese/bacon/peas sauce that uses shredded italian cheeses rather than the incredibly bad for you alfredo...I will try to find it and e-mail it to you!

    ReplyDelete