16 July 2010

New Obsession

A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law posted an entry about her freezer and all of the yummy goodies she was stowing away. You can read about it here. She also posted a simple recipe for making homemade smoothies. I admit, I was a tad jealous of her freezer space, and I thought the smoothies sounded awesome!

This past weekend, Andrew and I were trying to figure out how to arrange items in our own freezer. You see, we have a teeeeeeeeny tiiiiiiiiiny freezer, and the way the house is laid out, the door of the freezer doesn't even open all the way before hitting the wall. We can't even fit a boxed pizza in our freezer.

We've been wanting a deep freeze for a while. We decided to bite the bullet and purchase one with some wedding money.


With all of this added space for freezing goodies, I was excited to start stocking away fresh summer produce... this includes fresh fruits for our smoothies!


We began by washing, chopping, and packaging.


I packaged a zucchini so that we can enjoy the flavorful taste of a homegrown zucchini in the winter months.

Then...




... we separated and individually packaged a smoothie's worth of fruit so we could simply pull a small baggy out of the freezer for a tasty treat.

Just this week, I found blueberries on sale for 89 cents! I was very excited to come across this good deal!


Our new freezer is well on its way to being filled with good foods. We are so excited about this extra storing space, and we look forward to finding bargains that we can stock away for later use.

It's become a new obsession to fill this freezer with fresh garden produce. Next on my list of items to pack away for the winter months: corn on the cob and peaches.

We then decided to put our new frozen goods to use. We used my sister-in-law's recipe as a foundation for our smoothies. Her recipe is:


1 cup berries
1 banana (sliced and frozen)
3/4 cup apple juice
1 cup yogurt
Blend until smooth.

We altered the recipe slightly to suite our personal tastes. We also used apple juice made with Splenda to cut down on our sugar intake. We then used one of our wedding gifts to create the perfect smoothie.


A good friend got us this "bullet" smoothie maker for our wedding. It creates individual cups for easier use. Andrew is the main operator of this cool contraption, I just sit back and enjoy the delicious treat!

We really enjoy this healthy chilled treat, and we are so excited to have more storage for our frozen foods now!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the new freezer! That will be (& has seemed to be already) fun for you two! I'm so glad you're enjoying summer's goodness too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stac, wonderful recipe! I love those suckers. My measurements are...that looks about right! They always turn out well though :)

    ReplyDelete