25 April 2011

Gonna Need a Boat!

It has rained.

and rained.

and rained.

Many of you are well aware of this.

Sadly, before this week is over, we are expected to get 4-9 more inches of rain. Our saturated earth doesn't need anymore rain. I would gladly give some of this rain to the folks in Texas!

I have been home sick today, so I haven't been able to see the flooding beyond my own yard. Although, a friend posted a picture of a nearby mill, and the water is all the way up to the base of the bridge! The flood gates are closed, and people are being evacuated in some areas. Luckily, it hasn't gotten that bad here.


Most of our mulch has drifted away with the river. Our landscaping is now serving as a pond.


In some places, there are a good 3-4 inches of standing water (& most likely a lot deeper in the actual yard).


The street is a constant stream of water. Float trip, anyone?


Note the small lake behind the tree. The poor hostas are drowning in all of this water.


It's hard to tell from this picture, but the bradford pear is weighed down by all of this rain. The limbs are very heavy, and the lower branches are much lower than usual. I think it's had enough moisture!


Water just pours down the house. I told Andrew the other day that it won't need to be powerwashed after all.


Through all of this rain, one thing remains constant. This little momma never leaves her nest. If you look closely, you can see the droplets of water on Ellie Mae's back. You can also see the streaks of rain coming down. She does not move. I wish that she would let me move her somewhere a bit more dry, but she's not having that.

So, although everything is lush and gorgeously green, I think I speak for everyone around here when I say I think it's time for some sunshine!!


1 comment:

  1. Ya girl we had that last week and then they put up a burn ban im like why we got a small lake in our back yard. Im sorry you guys are getting so much rain!

    ReplyDelete