14 September 2010

Custom Made for You

Today, I jokingly posted a status on my facebook about being in the wreath-making mood and asked if anyone would let me make a wreath with their funding. Yes, they could have the finished product. You see, I don't have to make a wreath to keep it- just making one is good for my heart. In fact, it's even better for my heart if I DO make it for someone else. It's therapeutic, and it's something I've been needing to do for a while... I just couldn't justify the expense.

It did not take long before I got a response in favor of my request. I must admit, I was a little surprised to see that my MOM... the queen of artsy things... wanted ME to make HER fall wreath. Yes, that sentence needed all of that emphasis. I am no where near qualified enough for such a task. I, however, readily agreed.

I asked her what she had in mind, and I was NOT surprised at her response. The wreath she explained is the EXACT wreath I've been wanting to create. Sometimes I truly believe we have the same brain. Regardless, I was ecstatic!

First, I searched Hobby Lobby's website for their weekly deals. I was in luck!


They had a coupon for 40% off a single originally priced item! This was sure to help! Moreover, their floral stems were 50% off. This was going to be a breeze!

So, I wrote down the specifications from Mom...

Leaves
Berries
Pumpkins

Burnt Orange
Deep Gold
Burgundy
Fall Green

... and no more than $25.

Ok, I'm on it!

Oh, how I LOVE Hobby Lobby!!!


I came back with my loot. I got 10 stems of floral beauty and a grapevine wreath for the low cost of $22.74!! Am I good or what?! I got $50 worth of wreath making goodies for less than $25!!

Here's a closer look at all that I found...


Berries


Leaves and berries mixed


Picks filled with pumpkins, berries, and leaves


Beautifully round grapevine wreath

Now it was time to get to work! So...


I set up my workstation. I LOVE having a raised counter for this purpose! I made sure to have the wreath, floral stems, hot glue gun with a metal plate to catch the runny glue, extra glue sticks, and my heavy duty wire cutters.


After making sure that everything was ready to go, I started to play around with design ideas. I began with the most important item... the pumpkins.


When I had it mostly figured out, I began to secure everything with the glue. I start with one item and continuing layering with each different item until I've included all of the items selected.


Ah! Finally finished!! Or so I thought... When I looked at this picture on my computer, I did not like the placement of the berries and leaves at the base of the wreath. So...


I made a couple of snips and viola! Finished product!

I must admit, this wreath stressed me for a bit tonight, but only because I wanted it to be perfect for my momma! I love the finished product, and in person, the richness of the colors are stunning. The pumpkins are much deeper in color than the picture suggests, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what it looks like.

It's going to be hard to give this one up, but I can't pick a better person for it to go to! I have another order on my plate, and I'm so excited to create another unique wreath!

With all of this business, I need to develop a way to make a small profit! I've tossed around the idea of selling them, but if I get custom orders, that would be even better! My thoughts at this point are... $20 for the supplies (on average, that's what it cost) and $10 for my time. Does that sound fair? Opinions are very much welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Girl its beauhtiful i wish i had the talent to do it and figure out how to mail it safely cuz i would so make one for my grandma maybe that should be my new goal is to pick it up and figure out how to make her one you know she would love it.. now you have given me idea's but i dont think theres a hobby lobby close by but there is a wally world lol.. tell me what ya think im open to suggestions!

    ReplyDelete