17 September 2010

Childhood Flashback

Fall is just around the corner.


As a youngster, I knew that when the first brown bag arrived at my Grandma Kline's house, fall was on it's way.

Grandma would drive all the way to St. James via I-44 just to purchase these grapes from a rickety roadside stand.

After my Grandma passed away, my mom carried on this tradition. These tasty grapes are something I look forward to for 11 months out of the year.

Concord grapes most certainly are the first sign of fall.

A couple of weeks ago, a brown bag arrived at our little home. Andrew drives past these same rundown stands on his way to school each day. When I saw the first bag, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of saddness... and a whole lot of happiness.

Grandma lives on in my mom... and now her memory is living through me. She was a phenomenal woman, and she instilled tradition in all of us.

With each bite of these juicy grapes, memories of a life well lived flood my mind... and my heart smiles.


1 comment:

  1. You seriously need to post a Kleenex warning on blogs that are bound to make me cry! ;-)

    ReplyDelete