01 September 2010

Tasty Taco Soup

It's official... the school year has begun. I made my first pot of soup for the year on Sunday. I love to throw igredients into the crockpot on a Sunday and have soup to eat throughout the week. It's easy, it's healthy, it's fairly inexpensive, and it works for feeding one person (which can be a difficult task).

I chose to make taco soup. I got this recipe online last winter, and I modified it to suit my tastebuds. Andrew, who isn't a big fan of soups unless they're really thick, enjoys this soup. So, in my books, it's a winner.

Let me share : )

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef (or turkey for a leaner soup)
1 onion, chopped
2 cans kidney beans
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 package frozen corn (or 1 can corn)
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can diced chiles
1 package taco seasoning (I prefer the low-sodium kind)
1 package ranch mix

Tortilla chips
Sour cream (low-fat)
Shredded Mexican cheese
Jalapenos

Preparation:


Brown beef (or turkey) and onion in a large skillet.

Meanwhile...




Dump black beans, kidney beans, corn, diced tomatoes, chiles, taco seasoning, and ranch mix into a large crockpot.


Add ground meat and onion.

Stir well.

Cover.


Cook on low for 6-8 hours.


Garnish with cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and tortilla chips before serving.

I love this recipe because of how simple it is... and it explodes with flavor. It is also very colorful and aesthetically pleasing... you can't beat that! You can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. I do not enjoy overly spicy foods, but even I add jalapenos to my bowl.

I have two containers in my freezer to pull out for lazy days, but I have been able to enjoy this soup for a week, and I even sent some back to school with Andrew. It definitely goes a long ways.

Bon appétit!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love crock pot dinner's i adore my crock pot im gonna have to borrow this and fix it one night it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do. They're so easy- and they're usually pretty delicious! Borrow away! That's why I post my recipes!! : )

    ReplyDelete