14 November 2010

Another Birthday Surprise

My brother, Tyler, has been encouraging me to read a book called Radical by David Platt for months now. I keep telling him that my busy schedule doesn't allow me to sit down and read a book right now. You see, when I start a book, I like to finish it in one day. I get so caught up in what I'm reading that I don't like putting it down. So, while school is in session, I rarely read anything but a textbook.

But, I have been wanting to read the book he so strongly recommends since he told me about it. My plan was to wait until Christmas break. Funny thing? I was just telling my mom about that this morning. Then, I finally checked yesterday's mail, and I was greeted with the following package...


He even had it gift wrapped!


Complete with a card!


He's a mess- he's always signed his full name... even to his siblings.


My gift? Radical by David Platt.

The back reads:

"WHAT IS JESUS WORTH TO YOU?

It's easy for American Christians to forget how Jesus said his followers would actually live, what their new lifestyle would actually look like. They would, he said, leave behind security, money, convenience, even family for him. They would abandon the gospel They would take up their crosses daily...

BUT WHO DO YOU KNOW WHO LIVES LIKE THAT? DO YOU?

In Radical, David Platt challenges you to consider with an open heart how we have manipulated the gospel to fit our cultural preferences. He shows what Jesus actually said about being his disciple- then invites you to believe and obey what you have heard. And he tells the dramatic story of what is happening as a "successful" suburban church decides to get serious about the gospel according to Jesus.

Fianlly, he urges you to join in The Radical Experiment- a one-year journey in authentic discipleship that will transform how you live in a world that desperately needs the Good News Jesus came to bring."

WOAH!

This is some pretty deep material from the sound of it.

It sounds like I am headed for a challenge... and a major change. I am looking forward to reading this book. I pray that it changes the way I live my life... and the way I live for Jesus. I will definitely post again after I've had a chance to read through this book.

Thank you, Tyler, for a great birthday present!

No comments:

Post a Comment