01 November 2010

Cheesy Potato Soup: Disaster Averted

Months ago, our church decided to put together a cookbook. Andrew's Nana bought a copy for me and gave it to me this past Sunday. I was so excited to get home and use it.


I decided on Cheesy Potato Soup. We went to the store and purchased the ingredients.


10 or so red potatoes.


4 cans cheddar cheese soup.

2 cans cream of broccoli soup.

6 cans milk.


1-2 packages crumbled bacon.


Dice potatoes.


Dump in crockpot.


Add remainder of ingredients.

This is where I became skeptical.


Fry bacon.


Drain grease.


Add to crockpot.

After this, things went wrong. Really, really wrong.

I ALWAYS taste-test throughout the cooking process. If I won't eat it, I won't serve it. I'm a finicky cook... I want it to be just right.

So... I tasted.

And gagged.

It was awful. The consistency was terrible, the taste was awful, and it was completely wrong. I'm not saying that it's not a good recipe- to each his own. BUT, there was no way that I was going to serve it.

Soo... I drained THREE CUPS of the broth and added:

8 chicken buillion cubes
2 cups of water
8 ounces sour cream
Chives
Salt
LOTS of pepper

And...


... when supper came around it was edible.

Andrew liked it... he even got a second helping.

I still think it's because he didn't want me to feel bad.

I didn't gag when it came time for dinner, and I saved some for leftovers, so it really wasn't too bad.

Needless to say, I will not use this recipe again; however, I'm very excited to use other recipes in this cookbook. Also, if you feel like you may like this recipe, feel free to use it- and let me know if your tastebuds agree with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment