05 January 2011

Day Seventeen: A Passage from a Book that has Touched You

I have had the hardest time coming up with a book that has touched me and my life. I don't have much time to read for pleasure anymore, so I can't remember the last time I read something truly profound in a book. I kept coming back to my favorite- Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I relate so much to this book- and my family often calls me Anne.

Once I decided on this book, it was so hard to narrow it down to just one quote. In all honesty, I could put quotations around the beginning and the end and leave it at that. Yes- I enjoy Anne of Green Gables THAT much.


So- I decided on this one:

"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting." - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

I like to think that I am a jack of all trades- master of none. There are so many "Abbys" inside of me, but it makes life so much more interesting. Andrew always jokes that he married several different people when he married me. One thing he never worries about is living a dull life.

I truthfully couldn't stick with just one quote, so I also found this one:

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?" - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

and this one:

"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair... People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is." - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

and this one:

"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?" - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

and lastly:

"When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla." - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Now I feel that I must read this book again soon. Ahh- the wisdom of Anne... spelled with an -e!

No comments:

Post a Comment